- ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 banana (or other fruit)
It’s taken me a long time to figure out that perfect pre-race food and after a lot of experimentation and ideas from friends I’ve built my fave breakfast. I have it nearly every morning, especially before races. I know some people say oatmeal doesn’t settle well with them, but for me, who burns like a zillion calories an hour, it’s one of the few things I can eat that actually sticks with me without sticking with me… if you know what I mean.
So here’s my little recipe*:
Well, not a lot of directions for oatmeal really, but here they are…
- I combine the oatmeal, water, and almond butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium/medium-high heat and cook until soft. Do a little stirring to mix in the almond butter.
- Pour into a bowl on top of the banana (or other fruit), top with flax seeds and honey, and enjoy!
* I eat A LOT. So this is a pretty healthy portion of oatmeal. Some people I know half it.